As Chair of Governor’s, I’m delighted to welcome you to the Governor’s section of the Shaw Wood Academy website.
Governors are one of the largest volunteer forces in the country, and come from all types of backgrounds. Here are Shaw Wood, we are lucky to have an active, skilled and committed governing body.
Governor’s provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools and play an important part in raising school standards. Broadly speaking, the role of a school governor is:
• Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
• Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the school, and it’s pupils, and the performance management of staff
• Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure it’s money is well spent
Whilst some governors are teachers, there are many who are not. Governors are not involved in the day to day running of a school, we leave this to the executive head and school staff.
If you would like to know more about the role of school governors, or are interested in becoming one, please click here for more information. https://www.nga.org.uk/Governance-Recruitment.aspx
We currently have 7 members on our governing body, who along with the Executive Head and Business Manager, meet regularly throughout the school year. This includes Full Governing Body meetings as well as committees more focused on finances and performance.
We are made up from:
• Parent Governors – elected by Parents
• Staff Governors – elected by School Staff
• Co-Opted Governors – appointed by the Governing Body from the wider community for their specific skills.
You can find out more about individual governors along with other information about us on this page.
If you have any questions, queries or feedback, please get in touch via the School Office in the first instance.